By Michele Bertola - O'Plaine Campus Principal
I hope you all have had a safe and enjoyable summer with family and friends. As I start my second year as Principal at the O’Plaine Campus, I am truly honored to be a part of a school culture focused on student learning, a commitment to excellence, innovation, and collaboration. This will be my 20th year at Warren, and it is my intention to continue these important traditions and practices during the 2019-20 school year. We have an outstanding staff and we look forward to partnering with you to empower our students to achieve great things during their high school career and beyond. Below are some important topics to start our year off in a positive way:
Expectations: Please help me in communicating a message that our staff and students will hear from me throughout the school year. This message encourages everyone at the O’Plaine Campus to focus our energy on five concepts that will promote success. I believe that for our staff and students to ACHIEVE great things, they should be ACCOUNTABLE for:
Attendance – This is a dedication to being at school, in class, on time, each day.
Academics – This is a focus on taking active ownership of your learning and making positive progress academically.
Attitude – This is a focus on choosing to get better every day. To choose an attitude that makes yourself and others better.
Acceptance – This is an appreciation for the diversity in our world and valuing the assets diversity brings to our community. It is a commitment to treating others as you would want to be treated; and even better, getting to know others so you can treat them how they want to be treated.
Athletics/Activities – This is an engagement in the opportunities outside of the classroom that enhance student connectedness and contributions to our school community.
These five concepts are much bigger than the words used to describe them, but I think they may help you understand the concepts I will communicate and promote throughout the year so that we can have a common language and understanding for the things our staff and students should focus on to be successful.
- Website: d121.org: Our website has been put in place to build community connections and improve communications with our stakeholders. We hope you find our site user-friendly and it contains the information you need.
- Powerschool: Please make sure that your email addresses and phone numbers on file are updated. This will ensure you receive all communication in a timely manner. Powerschool can also be used to access student schedules, grades, attendance, and other useful student information.
- Social Media: Please follow us at #WeAreWarren.
Important Dates: Below are some important dates for the first month of school. Please mark your calendars for:
- On Wednesday, August 28th we will host an Activity Fair during all lunch periods at the O'Plaine campus. This is a great way for students to learn about the range of opportuntities to get involved in clubs and sports.
- On Thursday, August 29th the O’Plaine Campus will host our Fall Open House. This is an opportunity for parents to meet their student’s teachers and experience a condensed school day that follows their student’s bell schedule. The evening will start at 6:30 p.m. Classes will be 10 minute in length with five minute passing periods. Teachers will be present to introduce themselves and give a brief overview of their classes and expectations.
Welcome to Warren and Let’s get Better Together. We are excited to get the school year started and welcome our students! We will continue to offer academic interventions and partner with you to provide a first class education for our students. By encouraging a positive attendance pattern, you help support your students’ academic growth. Our staff strives to provide engaging opportunities for our students, but we cannot help them if they are not here. We will challenge our students to own their learning, get better every day, and help make Warren better together. We look forward to partnering with you this school year.
Please feel free to contact me or any other staff member with questions or concerns during the year.